UCPD received a report that on Monday, September 17th, 2012 at 3:45 p.m. a resident of UVA was the victim of an indecent exposure crime. The victim, a female resident of the family student housing facility, was at home with her two children when a male knocked on the door. The male suspect told the victim that he was a maintenance person and was there to do repairs. The victim let the suspect into her apartment. The suspect proceeded to walk around the apartment as if he were about to do repair work. The suspect asked the victim if he could use her restroom which the victim granted permission. Upon exiting the restroom the suspect unzipped his pants and exposed himself to the victim. The victim screamed and the suspect fled the apartment in an unknown direction.
After the above Crime Alert went out to the University Village community, UCPD received two additional reports of a suspicious person misrepresenting himself as a UVA maintenance employee. On Friday, September 14th at 5:00 p.m. a female admitted who she thought was a UVA maintenance worker into her residence who was looking for a water leak. After looking in each room of the apartment the suspect left. The next incident occurred on Monday, September 17th at 3:00 p.m. A female resident’s doorbell rang and upon answering she encountered a male subject who identified himself as a UVA maintenance person looking for a water leak. The suspect was admitted to the apartment. The resident followed the suspect as he walked through each room in the apartment. He then exited the apartment. In these two cases no indecent exposure occurred.
The suspect is described as:
A White male, approximately 50 years of age, about 6’0” in height, with a thin build and thinning grey hair, wearing a long sleeve shirt and khaki pants.
The Albany Village staff has asked us to remind you of the following:
- All Village maintenance staff wear clothing with their name visible on the shirt.
- Ask to see their UCB ID before allowing anyone into your apartment if you do not know them.
- Call the Village office if this is during a weekday to verify the employee works for us: 526-8505 x 210
- If you are unsure, do not allow them to enter your apartment.
- Additionally, tell children not to allow anyone in unless there is an adult home. Our maintenance staff will not enter an apartment if there is no adult present.